WORKSHOP materials aimed at making barley growing more profitable have been compiled by Barley Industry Development Officers, including Denise McLellan, 03 5362 2111, who covers the southern region from VIDA, Horsham.
Ms McLellan says materials for six TOPACTIVE workshops have been produced and include:
- selecting barley varieties
- paddock management to achieve barley receival standards
- managing nitrogen to achieve optimum protein in malting barley
- barley beyond the farm gate on-farm storage of malting barley, and
- adding value to malting barley by cleaning, grading and drying.
Other recent TOPACTIVE developments include:
- eight new workshop facilitation kits covering pest and foliar disease management in cereal, pulse and canola crops, and nitrogen and general nutrition requirements for cereal and canol a production
- a package of three workshops for those interested in getting into no-till farming. The facilitator is Dr Rohan Rainbow of the SA No-Till Farmers Association. 08 8842 2228
- Victorian and SA advisers recently attended a train-thetrainer session on snail control at the SARDI Plant Research Centre
- a weed seed bank monitoring workshop program is being developed by Tony Craddock of Rural Directions, Clare.
For further information on these and other TOPACTIVE initiatives, contact TOPCROP Development Officer Mark Stanley on 08 8688 3402 or 040 I 122 085, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Program 6
North, South, West