Growers to shape new look GRDC
Australia’s 28,000 grain growers have the opportunity to shape a new look Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) led by managing director, John Harvey.
Mr Harvey is calling for feedback on a new direction for GRDC, underpinned by six new investment themes. He says the themes represent a fundamental adjustment to GRDC's structure and focus to align with the pillars of successful, profitable grain production.
The GRDC investment themes include:
1. Meeting market requirements
2. Improving crop yield
3. Protecting your crop
4. Advancing profitable farming systems
5. Improving your farm resource base
6. Building skills and capacity.
“In 2010-11 GRDC invested $140 million in more than 900 projects across 230 organisations, so it's essential this investment is focused on delivering technology and practices that will make the biggest difference in your region, on your farm,” Mr Harvey said.
“To achieve this, GRDC needs your feedback to develop the five year strategic RD&E plan 2012-2017 'Your GRDC Working With You'.
“This Plan will outline how GRDC will invest your levy, along with the Australian government's contribution, in innovative research, development, extension, communication and commercialisation for the greatest benefit for you.”
Mr Harvey encourages growers download the theme consultation document and watch the videos on GRDC’s YouTube channel that explain the new direction.
Growers can also call the GRDC on 02 6166 4500 and ask to speak to the relevant theme coordinator:
• Meeting market requirements - Jody Higgins
• Improving crop yield - Juan Juttner
• Protecting your crop - Rohan Rainbow
• Advancing profitable farming systems - Stuart Kearns
• Improving your farm resource base - Martin Blumenthal
• Building skills and capacity - Brondwen MacLean
Feedback is open until 19 March and growers can send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 02 6166 4599.
For more information, visit www.grdc.com.au/themesconsult.
GRDC Communications Manager
Ph: 02 6166 4500