Grain growers preparing to market this year’s crop are being offered a helping hand.
A Grains Research and Development Corporation-supported workshop to provide growers with a sound platform for confident marketing decision-making now and well into the future will be held in Swan Hill in early September.
The ‘GRDC Grain Marketing Technical Workshop – A Fresh Approach to Year-Round Grain Marketing’ will offer practical farm management strategies that growers can apply to their individual grain marketing plans.
The two-day workshop at the All Seasons Swan Hill Resort will be held on September 4-5.
Workshop co-ordinator Natasha Morley, of Rural Directions Pty Ltd, said the GRDC-subsidised workshop would give growers the confidence and tools to enable them to take control of the marketing of their grain.
“Grain marketing can be a daunting task for many grain growers. There is a great deal of information, options and products on offer and growers need to know what’s appropriate for them and how these resources can be used effectively,” Ms Morley said.
“Managing the disconnect between production certainty and market cycles can also be difficult, as can the application of practical tools and strategies to improve grain marketing and business management.”
GRDC Southern Regional Panel member, Richard Konzag, said the Swan Hill workshop was the second of its kind to be held in the southern cropping region.
“The first was held in Adelaide earlier this year and the feedback from growers who participated was very positive,” said Mr Konzag, who attended the SA workshop.
“Deregulation of Australia’s wheat marketing has meant that growers are now more responsible for determining where their grain goes, and for what price, once it has been harvested.
“GRDC has identified a real need to provide growers with guidance and practical approaches to marketing that they can effectively incorporate into their businesses.”
The interactive workshop at Swan Hill will feature leading industry presenters from Rural Directions Pty Ltd, Glencore Grain, GrainCorp Ltd and NAB.
At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Develop an understanding of the grain marketing environment, including major grain trading exchanges and how they impact on prices in Australia;
- Understand terminology and concepts unique to grain marketing;
- Outline the strengths and weaknesses of all commonly used grain marketing products;
- Interpret the risks involved when using grain marketing products and tools;
- Apply these products to maximise potential business income;
- Develop a grain marketing plan for their business that considers key farm management principles including policy development, cost of production, defining individual and business risk profiles, developing price guides and implementing position reporting for risk management.
To register for the GRDC Grain Marketing Technical Workshop or for more information, contact Rural Directions Pty Ltd on 08 8525 3000 or visit www.ruraldirections.com.
Caption: GRDC Southern Regional Panel member, Richard Konzag, says the GRDC has identified a real need to provide growers with guidance and practical approaches to marketing.
GRDC Project Code: RDP00009
Media releases and other media products can be found at www.grdc.com.au/media
For further information: Natasha Morley
Contact: Sharon Watt
GRDC Project Code