Published: 08 Sep 2021
- ASAP Start
- 3 year contract
Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC) is responsible for planning, investing in and overseeing research, development and extension (RD&E) for the Australian grains industry. Our client invests in RD&E projects to deliver new and improved varieties, farming practices, technologies and capability to the Australian grains industry. These investments drive the discovery, development and delivery of world-class innovation.
An exciting opportunity exists to join one of the world's leading grains research investment organisations!
Working as part of the GRDC Enabling Technologies team, this role will be instrumental in driving the organisations' ag-tech investment agenda.
Based in either Canberra or Adelaide, it involves working closely with Ag-tech sector participants, fellow GRDC staff and related stakeholders in the development of sound investment strategies and business cases, targeting outcomes that align with GRDC's purpose. It also involves the active management of a portfolio of R&D investments, ensuring the delivery and deployment of specified outputs that best address industry needs.
- The Manager Ag-Tech will be involved in planning and managing investments that develop or leverage Ag-Technologies to deliver on the GRDC purpose. These technologies include but are not limited to:
- remote/proximal sensors and connectivity devices
- geographical information systems (GIS)
- engineering solutions
- autonomous and intelligent systems
- optimisation and logistical tools
- There are 3 main ways this role delivers value. Investments that develop or leverage Ag-Tech for useinbroadacre applications (e.g. precision agriculture), research applications (e.g.phenomics technologies), as well as providing specialist technical support to thebroaderGRDC management team and key stakeholders. To achieve this it will:
- Lead the identification, analysis, proposal development and procurement of investments that develop and/or enhance the application of enabling technologies in the grains industry.
- Oversee the development of robust business cases that define return on investment, path to market and related technical and adoption risks and assumptions for investments.
- Provide specialist technical support and leadership to the broader GRDC investment management team in identifying opportunities for the deployment of enabling technologies that enhance return on investment across the GRDC portfolio. This includes for the areas of genetic improvement, crop protection, biosecurity, farming systems and agronomy and extension.
The Successful Applicant
- Industry experience (5+ years) in related industries such as agricultural research, Ag-Tech, engineering or life science companies.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiation, facilitation and management of projects in a relevant industry (5+ years desirable).
- Demonstrated ability to develop business cases for investment based on return to stakeholders/shareholders.
- Proven understanding of commercial principles including finance, brand management, IP management, licensing and deal development.
- Proven experience developing networks within the Ag-tech sector inc. commercial, research, industry and government stakeholders will be highly regarded.
- Highly developed presentation, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to influence, motivate and develop others.
- Ability to synthesise information and provide a summary and recommended options.
- PhD or Masters in a relevant discipline is highly desirable
- Degree in Science, Agricultural Science, Engineering, Spatial Sciences.
- Must be prepared to travel as and when required
- Must have a valid Australian Drivers Licence as deemed necessary.
- Must be willing to undergo all Pre-employment Medical and Police checks
- Must be an Australian Citizen
What's on Offer
- Immediate Start
- $113,116 - $138,253 + superannuation, annually (depending on qualifications and experience)
- 3 year assignment
- Annual leave entitlements
- Additional complimentary leave over Xmas/New Years
- Flexible working arrangement can be arranged
- Based in either Canberra or Adelaide
Was this page helpful?