Levy Payer Register Policy
To provide information on the business rules associated with the use of and access to the Grains Research and Development Corporation’s (GRDC) levy payer register (the Levy Payer Register) to ensure that GRDC complies with all legislative requirements, in particular, levy payer information and privacy rights.
1. Policy Statement/ Principles
Purpose and use of the Levy Payer Register
- maintaining a register of levy payers
- maintaining a register of persons eligible to vote in any poll conducted by, or on behalf of GRDC
- making public any information of statistical nature
- performing any of its functions under a law or contract between the Commonwealth and GRDC
- determining whether a person is eligible to be a member or shareholder of GRDC.
The use of the Levy Payer Register and any information contained within, must be done in accordance with applicable legislation (specifically the PILCC Act and Privacy Act 1988) and relevant GRDC policies. Information from the Levy Payer Register may only be used by GRDC for a permitted purpose.
GRDC must provide levy payers with the option to ‘opt out’ from receiving information or communication from GRDC.
The privacy rights of levy payers must be the primary consideration when accessing and using information contained within the database. The handling of personal information must be done in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (refer “Disclosure and privacy obligations section for more information).
GRDC employees are prohibited from using information or data obtained from the Levy Payer Register for non-GRDC purposes and/or personal or political gain. Employees are also prohibited from retaining such information upon ceasing employment with GRDC.
2. Access to the register
The GRDC will use information from the register for the purposes of:
- Engaging and communicating with levy payers on GRDC matters when necessary and/or appropriate
- Augmenting existing GRDC datasets for better analysis of research and development impacts
- Measuring extension and adoption outcomes
- Improved financial forecasting and planning
- for a research and development (R&D) activity (within the meaning of the Primary Industries Research and Development Act 1989 (PIRD Act))
- for marketing activities (within the meaning of the PIRD Act)
- for biosecurity purposes
- for National Residue Survey purposes
- in connection with any activity carried out, or proposed to be carried out, by the disclosing RDC for the benefit of producers in the relevant industry.
3. Disclosure and privacy obligations
The GRDC will hold, use and disclose personal information for purposes which are reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, our functions and related activities under the PIRD Act, the Grains Research and Development Regulations 1990 (Cth) or any other legislation such as, the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (Cth) (PGPA Act).
The Privacy Act 1988 regulates the handling of such information. The Australian Government and the GRDC are Australian Privacy Principles entities and must use personal information as per Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act.
An individual’s personal information must not be disclosed under any circumstance and must be used and handled in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988. The distinction between business information and personal information may overlap therefore all listed levy payers within the Levy Payer Register must be treated as an individual and their information handled in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
GRDC will not disclose any identifiable personal information to any other person or body unless required for legislated purposes. This does not apply to the disclosure of identifiable personal information to an individual to whom that personal information relates. As information is collected and managed by the Department of Agriculture, all requests for the disclosure of personal information within the Levy Payer Register must be directed to the Department of Agriculture.
The GRDC will not alter or comprise the integrity of data collected and stored in the Levy Payer Register. Any requests to update personal information within the Levy Payer Register or any other information collected through the Levy Payer Register must be directed and managed by the Department of Agriculture.
Any complaints relating to the disclosure or potential mishandling of information in the Levy Payer Register should be directed to email@example.com and these will handled in accordance with the GRDC’s Complaints Handling policy.
The policy applies to GRDC employees, relevant grains levy payers and any third parties seeking access to or requesting information from the Levy Payer Register.
- Primary Industries Levies and Charges Collection Act 1991
- Privacy Act 1988
- Levy Payer Register Guidelines October 2018 - Department of Agriculture
- GRDC Data Breach Plan
- GRDC Complaints Handling Policy
|Contact Area||Governance and Reporting|
Was this page helpful?