GRDC Grains Research Update (Dalby)
Keep up to date on the latest developments in grains research at the DALBY GRDC Grains Research Update. Leading-edge research that’s farm ready for the DARLING DOWNS.
- Learning from southern region experience with pre-emergent herbicides incorporated by sowing: pre-emergent use incorporated by sowing including how, why, which weeds, seeding systems and soil types. Maurie Street (GOA) and Mark Congreve (ICAN)
- Conyza sumatrensis: a 2-metre-high fleabane species on the Darling Downs that is tolerant of paraquat. Bhagirath Chauhan (QAAFI)
- Value of tactical decisions on crop sequencing: opt in/opt out on PAW triggers. Jeremy Whish (CSIRO)
- Measuring and predicting plant available water to drive decision-making and crop resourcing: extrapolating data from limited site numbers across paddocks. Brett Cocks and Mark Thomas (CSIRO)
- Cover crops to increase fallow efficiency: research observations on soil water, health, nutrition and crop performance. David Lawrence (DAF Qld)
- Multi species cover cropping and optimising soil health. Alex Nixon (Nuffield Scholar Drillham, Qld)
- Sowing grain sorghum early: to reduce risk of water and heat stress at flowering and benefits for following crops – double cropping to chickpeas and ratooning cropping of sorghum. Joe Eyre (QAAFI)
- Grower experiences with early sowing sorghum: pros and pitfalls. Dan Wegener ("Ferndale")
- Upgrading nutritional strategies to feed the farming system: P & K timing, placement and implications for N timing and placement. Mike Bell (QAAFI)
- 5 years of nitrogen research: do we have the system right? Richard Daniel (Northern Grower Alliance);
- N movement, use efficiency, application timing & impact on N uptake - do we fertilise the system or the crop?
- N in pulse crops?
- N impacts on screenings
- Nutrition discussion: key decisions in the next crop cycle.
Registration: 8:30am for a 9am start. Finish 3:10pm. Cost: $30 pp. (Cheques payable to ICAN Pty. Ltd.). Lunch, morning tea and proceedings provided.
To RSVP / register, or for further information or agenda, please contact John Cameron or Erica McKay on 02 9482 4930 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
(Agenda subject to change)
Cost (in AUD$):
Was this page helpful?