GRDC Grains Research Update (Surat)
Keep up to date on the latest developments in grains research at the SURAT GRDC Grains Research Update. Leading-edge research that’s farm ready for the WESTERN DOWNS & MARANOA.
- Current and forecast climate change impacts on northern farming systems. Jaci Brown (CSIRO)
- Sowing grain sorghum early: to reduce risk of water and heat stress at flowering and observed benefits for following crops. Joe Eyre (QAAFI)
- Grower experiences with early sowing sorghum: pros and pitfalls. Wade Bidstrup (Aloe Farming Co)
- Learning from southern region experience with pre-emergent herbicides incorporated by sowing: how, why, which weeds, matching seeding systems and soil types. Maurie Street (GOA) and Mark Congreve (ICAN)
- Cover crops for fallow efficiency: research observations on soil water, health, nutrition and crop performance. Andrew Erbacher (DAF Qld)
- Measuring and predicting plant available water to drive decision-making and crop resourcing: extrapolating data from limited site numbers across paddocks. Brett Cocks and Mark Thomas (CSIRO)
- Multi species cover cropping and optimising soil health. Alex Nixon (Nuffield Scholar Drillham, Qld)
- 5 years of nitrogen research: do we have the system right? Richard Daniel (Northern Grower Alliance);
- N movement, use efficiency, application timing & impact on N uptake - should we fertilise the system or the crop?
- N in pulse crops?
- N impacts on screenings
- Upgrading nutritional strategies to feed the farming system: P & K timing, placement and implications for N timing and placement. Mike Bell (QAAFI)
- Nutrition discussion session: issues for the next crop cycle
Registration: 8:30am for a 9am start. Finish 3:10pm. Cost: $30 pp. (Cheques payable to ICAN Pty. Ltd.). Lunch, morning tea and proceedings provided.
To RSVP / register, or for further information or agenda, please contact John Cameron or Erica McKay on 02 9482 4930 or e-mail email@example.com
(Agenda subject to change)
Cost (in AUD$):
$30 per person
Was this page helpful?