GRDC Grains Research Update (Meandarra)
The latest grains research to improve profit will be on show at the Meandarra GRDC Grains Research Update. Discuss how to make practical use of the latest information with researchers, agronomists and leading growers.
- The drivers of phenology for more profitable sowing decisions – balancing risk of abiotic stresses when selecting cereal varieties to optimise yield potential in SW Queensland. Felicity Harris (NSW DPI)
- New cereal varieties - how are they likely to behave on the Western Downs and why? Douglas Lush (AGT)
- Identification of crop-specific and varietal tolerance limits to salinity and sodicity. Jack Christopher (UQ)
- Amelioration for sodicity - deep ripping and soil amendment research. Engineering challenges; yield responses to ripping, gypsum and organic matter placement in constrained soils. David Lester (DAF Qld)
- Cereal pathology update - learnings from 2020; planning for 2021; latest trial outcomes; barley powdery mildew in 2020; is stripe rust the death knock for some varieties? Lisle Snyman (DAF Qld)
- Impact of Ascochyta on chickpea when disease occurs at different growth stages. Kevin Moore (NSW DPI)
- Optimising chickpea sowing and flowering dates for maximum yield. Allan Peake (CSIRO)
- Weed ecology, seed persistence and retention - implications for management and harvest weed seed capture. (Barnyard grass, feathertop Rhodes grass, windmill grass and sow thistle). Also: New data on resistance in feathertop Rhodes grass and sow thistle. Bhagirath Chauhan (UQ/QAAFI)
- Cooling grain in storage – steps to optimise aeration. On-farm data of attainable grain storage temperatures in summer / winter; aeration equipment options; fan selection; and managing aeration systems. Alex Conway (Control Unlimited)
- Storage pests and clever ways to control them. Philip Burrill and Greg Daglish (DAF Qld)
Registration*: 8:30am for a 9am start. Finish 3:00pm. Cost: $30 pp. (Cheques payable to ICAN Pty. Ltd.). Lunch, morning tea and proceedings provided.
* As we will be operating under COVID-safe guidelines, registration is essential. We may not be able to accept walk-ins on the day.
(Agenda subject to change)
Cost (in AUD$):
Was this page helpful?