GRDC Grains Research Update (Capella)
Capella GRDC Grains Research Update
Leading-edge research that’s farm ready for Central Queensland.
- How has the CQ climate changed and what impact has it had on summer crop productivity and how can we manage this issue? BOM climate guides for Central Queensland. Jeremy Whish (CSIRO)
- New frontiers in cereal breeding for a changing climate. Would you like a long coleoptile wheat that competes better with weeds and tolerates a hot finish? Greg Rebetzke, CSIRO
- Cover crops to increase fallow efficiency. Soil water, health, nutrition and crop performance.Andrew Erbacher (DAF Qld)
- Modifying variety with frost risk down slope - how big are the potential yield gains and why? Matt Gardner (AMPS Research)
- Time of sowing (TOS) of cereals - drivers of phenology and matching variety to TOS in different environments. Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld)
- Chemical residues/MRL’s – impact, understanding and potential trade issues. Gordon Cumming (GRDC)
- Farming systems - GM and $ return/mm water. Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld)
- Which systems make money in different environments and why?
- N removal and needs in different crops and N use efficiency between farming systems.
- Water use and infiltration.
- Nutritional strategies to support CQ farming systems. Richard Daniel (NGA), Darren Aisthorpe and Doug Sands (DAF Qld)
- P timing, placement and implications for N timing, rate and placement.
- Managing N: N movement, location, timing and budgeting.
- Why are recovery efficiencies so low and how does this affect strategy for use of our single largest input cost?
- Panel discussion - managing nutrition for the 2020 summer crop. Timing, rates, placement and testing. Brian Gregg (Kolara Farming), Doug Sands (DAF Qld) & Richard Daniel (NGA)
(Agenda subject to change).
Registration: 8:30am for a 9am start. Finish approx 3 pm. Cost: $30 pp. (Cheques payable to ICAN Pty. Ltd.). Lunch, morning tea and proceedings provided.
To RSVP / register, or for further information or agenda, please contact John Cameron or Erica McKay on 02 9482 4930 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost (in AUD$):
Was this page helpful?