CSP00203 - Increasing production on sandy soils in low and medium rainfall areas of the South
A large gap exists between actual yield and water limited yield potential on sandy soils in the low rainfall cropping zone of south-eastern Australia. This project investigates the potential for the management of constraints to production under these conditions through a combination of mitigation and amelioration strategies.
An initial research focus will establish the nature and extent of the constraints, measure the degree to which the problem controls the yield gap between yield attained and yield potential, and develop appropriate and cost-effective management strategies with estimates of return and risk of investment. Using that information the project will develop a framework to support growers with problem sands considering trialling practices to overcome crop water-use constraints.
The framework will help growers:
- Identify problem sands;
- Identify the primary constraints to crop water use and their relative impact;
- Identify treatments to address constraints;
- Identify funds, skills and equipment required to trial potential practice changes;
- Measure the success of each practice; and
- Identify the most useful timing and extent of implementation on-farm.
- Project start date:
- Project end date:
- Crop type:
- All Crops
- Key Investment Target:
03 Dec 2021
Building science capacity is important when it comes to understanding the amelioration requirements of Australia’s...
07 Jun 2021
The statistics behind sowing and flowering times guide South Australian grower James Venning’s approach to...
Growers are being encouraged to consolidate deep ripped paddocks with a roller before sowing as...
Some growers experience poor crop establishment after sowing into deep ripped sandy soils, and press...
24 Feb 2020
SA trials target use of on-row or edge-row sowing with soil wetters to lift crop...
20 Oct 2019
Rotary spaders can ameliorate non-wetting surface soils and incorporate topsoil.
15 Oct 2019
DEM modelling helps to optimise strategic tillage equipment and reduce field-testing costs.
07 Oct 2019
When choosing ripping, mixing or inverting implements for strategic tillage, an understanding of both soils...
Soil pH mapping in a non-traditional liming area has shown the potential for variable-rate lime...
Practice change on the Trengove farm at Bute, SA, has been spurred by trials on...
High-rate applications of chicken manure are showing positive signs of ameliorating sandy soils in trials...
Early results from a GRDC project that aims to increase production on sandy soils in...
- 1629208800000, Amelioration strategies to improve crop productivity on sandy soils
- 1627480800000, Increasing reliability of lentil production on sandy soils
- 1626271200000, Diagnosing constraints is key to cost effective amelioration: Do responses in NSW sands differ from the broader Southern sandy context?
- 1626098400000, Improving crop productivity on sands - what is the latest?
- 1626098400000, Increasing reliability of lentil production on sandy soils
- 1612789200000, Targeted amelioration in Mallee sands to maximise crop water use
- 1595944800000, Perils of ripping on sandy soils- what can be learnt from hindsight?
- 1533564000000, Improving crop productivity and profits on sandy soils
- 1533045600000, Improving crop productivity on sands - what is the latest?
- 1518440400000, Improving productivity on low fertility (sandy) soils