New post emergent herbicide workshops
Author: Toni Somes | Date: 15 Mar 2017
A new half day workshops, with follow up technical resources, have been developed by ICAN, an agricultural consultancy specialising in linking researchers, technology providers, advisors and growers.
ICAN’s Mark Congreve said this integrated resource focuses on providing advisers with a high-level understanding of how the key modes of action that are used for post-emergent grass weed control enter the leaf, move to their target site and affect the plant at a cellular level.
Mr Congreve, who is leading the development of workshop resources, said understanding how herbicides work in the plant helps advisers to recommend optimum herbicide timing and application strategies to maximise herbicide performance.
The workshop will also explore how environmental conditions and different adjuvants influence the performance of different herbicide groups; and how tank-mixing different herbicides can increase or decrease performance.
“Understanding these properties can be especially critical in early stages of herbicide resistance selection and may be the difference between a successful application or a spray failure,” Mr Congreve said.
“Herbicide resistance is now a reality for most of our post-emergent herbicide modes of action. Where herbicide resistance exists, these herbicides are not going to be as robust and forgiving as they were when first introduced.
“As advisers, it is critical to ensure that we are doing everything possible to maximise the environment suitable for the herbicide to perform its role.”
This latest resource follows on from The soil behaviour of pre-emergent herbicides - a reference manual for Australian grains advisers, which was written for the GRDC by ICAN in 2014. This manual has since become a critical reference resource for those making pre-emergent herbicide choices in the paddock.
These agronomist-focused, half-day workshops will be held throughout southern Queensland and New South Wales:
- March 20 - TOOWOOMBA - DAF Qld (Green room), 203 Tor St (1-5pm)
- March 21 - DALBY - O'Shea's Windsor Hotel, 32 Patrick St (8:30am-12:30pm)
- March 23 - MOREE - Moree Services Club, Albert St (8:30am-12:30pm)
- March 24 - GOONDIWINDI - Royal Hotel, 48 Marshall St (8:30am-12:30pm)]
- March 28 - GUNNEDAH - Gunnedah Services and Bowling Club, 313 Conadilly St (8:30am-12:30pm)
- March 29 - COONAMBLE - Coonamble RSL, 18 Castlereagh St (8:30am-12:30pm)
- March 30 - PARKES - Parkes Leagues Club, 194 Clarinda St (8:30am-12:30pm)
- March 31 - DUBBO - Dubbo RSL, 178 Brisbane St (8:00am-12:00pm)
For more details contact 02 9482 4930 or follow this link.
Toni Somes, Cox Inall Communications
0427 878 387
GRDC Project Code ICN00016