Farm-ready research on offer at GRDC CQ Updates
Author: Toni Somes | Date: 05 Oct 2018
Cutting edge research that is farm-ready on topics ranging from weed management to grain storage, and optimising fertiliser investments as well as the latest advice on sorghum agronomy will be on the agenda at the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) Grains Research Updates in Central Queensland this December.
With agendas developed with input from local grain growers and advisers, the GRDC Updates will be held in Emerald on December 4 and in Biloela on December 5.
GRDC Grower Relations Manager North, Richard Holzknecht, said it was the first time in eight years the GRDC Updates had been held in the region, with the return prompted by industry demand for high quality, seasonally relevant research information.
“As a grain production region, Central Queensland is in many ways very different from other grain production regions with geographic distance resulting in a high level of self-sufficiency,” Mr Holzknecht said.
“But while many GRDC investments support the development of regional capacity, growers and advisers have repeatedly come to the GRDC looking for more information, particularly from sources outside the region, with immediate paddock application and the potential to deliver on-farm profit gains.
“This was the catalyst for our decision to bring the Grains Research Updates back to Central Queensland this season.”
Mr Holzknecht said the Updates showcased new research that was farm ready, concentrated into one day, so time poor growers and agronomists could hear directly from leading researchers on some of the most relevant new research, applicable to their farming business.
Topics on the Updates’ agenda include:
- Chaff lining and tramlining problem weeds, including: is glyphosate resistant milk (sow) thistle a concern for CQ? Paul McIntosh, WeedSmart
- CQ sorghum agronomy: new research into lodging, row spacing, weeds, time of sowing. Darren Aisthorpe, DAF Queensland, and Trevor Philp, Pacific Seeds
- A new chickpea variety for CQ: how it performs and what growers need to know about making it perform. Doug Sands, DAF (Emerald) and Merrill Ryan, DAF (Biloela)
- Designing flexible mid-size on-farm grain handling facilities. Andrew Kotzur, Kotzur Silos
- What's new in storage fumigation management. Philip Burrill, DAF
- Helicoverpa resistance: protecting pulse profits. Melina Miles, DAF
- Nitrogen: what's new and how does it apply to CQ; how fast does N move in soil; N use efficiency in older crop soils; implications for how and when you apply N in CQ. Chris Dowling, Back Paddock Co
- Getting crop nutrition right in CQ. Panel session on deep phosphorus, sulphur and nitrogen. Doug Sands, DAF, Chris Dowling, Back Paddock Co, plus growers Brian Gregg and Shane Eden (Emerald) and Lee Jones (Biloela)
- Emerald only: CQ farming systems: GM and $ return/millimetre water. Darren Aisthorpe, DAF
- Biloela only: Sowthistle: biology, management and glyphosate resistance; and how big is the threat in CQ? Paul McIntosh, WeedSmart.
Both the Emerald and Biloela GRDC Updates are on from 8.30am-3:15pm. The Emerald Update on December 4 will be at the McIndoe Centre, while the Biloela Update on December 5 will be at the Biloela Anzac Memorial Club. For more information or to register contact Erica McKay on 02 9482 4930 or email@example.com.
Toni Somes, GRDC
0436 622 645
GRDC Project code: ICN00016
Was this page helpful?