New initiative to foster grains industry leadership
Date: 02 Oct 2013
Grain growers and industry professionals who wish to take the next step in their career are being offered a helping hand through a new Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) skills and capacity-building initiative.
The GRDC will next year fund a two-day Resilient Grain Leaders workshop in Western Australia to assist in the development of highly skilled grains industry leaders.
The workshop at Perth on March 6-7 is one of three being held nationally.
GRDC Program Manager Capacity Building, Kathleen Allan, says the new Resilient Grain Leaders initiative has been established by the GRDC to “help ensure that the Australian grains industry attracts and retains the right people with the skills and capabilities to contribute to the long term sustainability of the industry”.
During the course, for which places are limited, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of what contributes to an effective team
- Recognise the value in understanding personality types and team role preferences and how to effectively work with diversity to maximise team performance
- Understand the purpose of effectively matching leadership style to individuals and situations in developing a supportive team environment
- Develop time management and delegation skills to effectively work within and lead a team
- Develop and apply skills to effectively give and receive feedback, implement performance management processes and manage conflict
- Formulate an action plan for implementation which considers key learnings and how they will be applied by participants in their workplace.
Ms Allan said that to be eligible to participate in the workshop, applicants must be working and engaged in the grains industry, have a long-term vision for the grains industry and be willing to commit to activities before, during and after the workshop.
Participants will be selected via a shortlisting process based on the eligibility criteria and information submitted with the applications.
Applications open October 1 and close at 8:30am (CSDT) on December 9 this year.
The Resilient Grain Leaders workshops will be delivered by Rural Directions Pty Ltd. Further information about the workshops is available from Rural Directions by phoning 08 8841 4500 or emailing Natasha Morley at email@example.com.
Kathleen Allan, GRDC
02 6166 4500
Natalie Lee, Cox Inall Communications
08 9864 2034, 0427 189 827
GRDC Project Code RDP00012