Register now for WeedSmart Week 2021 in Esperance
Date: 15 Jul 2021
Weed-identifying technology, spray automation, new research into crop competition and the firsthand experiences of some of Western Australia’s most progressive grain growers will be part of an innovative 2021 WeedSmart Week program this August.
This is the sixth annual event facilitated by WeedSmart, an industry-owned initiative committed to delivering practical, scientifically-based information that promotes the use of multiple on-farm management tools to encourage ‘more crop, less weeds’ and sustainable herbicide practices.
The Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) is a platinum partner in WeedSmart. Which also has corporate support from Syngenta, Bayer Crop Science, Seed Terminator, FMC, Nufarm, Goldacres, iHSD, Redekop, BASF and Pioneer Seeds.
This year the three-day event will be held in Esperance, starting with a practical information forum on August 17, followed by two days of farm visits, where growers and agronomists can see firsthand different approaches to weed management.
GRDC Crop Protection Manager – West, Georgia Megirian, said this year’s WeedSmart Week would offer growers and advisers insights into effective use of pre-emergent herbicides, the latest in spray technology, summer weed control and crop competition research.
“One of the highlights of the event will be a series of farm tours through the Esperance region which will showcase how local growers are tackling challenging regional weed issues,” Ms Megirian said.
WeedSmart Week will feature a mix of presentations from growers and agronomists sharing on-farm experiences of various weed control strategies:
- Rotating and mixing chemistries – Brent Pritchard, Farmanco
- Grower experience of SwarmBot and spray technology – Brad Jones, Bungalla
- Summer weed control – Greg Warren, Farm and General
- Soil amelioration – Tom Edwards, Department Primary Industries and Regional Development
- Crop competition – row spacing, higher seeding rates, east-west sowing, seed placement – Luke Marquis, South East Agronomy Services
- Grower experience of crop competition strategies – Mic Fels
- What’s next in automation and spray technology
- Innovation session – with a panel of industry experts
- Stacking the ‘Big 6’ in WA farming systems – Greg Condon, WeedSmart
- Spray and harvest weed seed control machinery – Ben White, Kondinin Group
- Farm tours in Scaddan (featuring growers Mick Schutz, Mark Wandel and Dave Campbell) and farm tours to Howick (featuring Kyarran Farming Company, Adrian Perks and Warakirri, Con Murphy).
Ms Megirian said WeedSmart week was a unique opportunity for grain growers to hear from those at the forefront of Australian weed and herbicide resistance research, as well as see best practice weed management at farm level.
“Weed management is one of the most significant costs for growers in terms of yield losses and money spent on control,” she said.
“The GRDC recognises the impact weeds have on profitability and makes significant investments on behalf of grain growers into research targeting weed control and herbicide resistance.
“WeedSmart Week is designed to help growers and agronomists stay informed about new research and development and to make informed weed management decisions on their farm.”
For a full program of events or to register go to the WeedSmart website.
Toni Somes, GRDC Communications Manager – North
0436 622 645
GRDC Project code: UWA2007-001SAX
Was this page helpful?