- Paddock Practice: A guide to reducing off target spray damage Published: 07 Mar 2018 The impact of off-target spray damage continues to affect the profitability of growers throughout many regions in Australia.
- Paddock Practice: Practical tips for mouse control now that planting is here Published: 18 Apr 2018 Grain growers who have monitored mouse activity through summer and early autumn and applied baits early should now be considering baiting at seeding, or within 24 hours of seeding to reduce the impact of mice on winter crops.
- Paddock Practice: Canola - linking variety choice to time of sowing, to drive profitability of early sown canola Published: 18 Apr 2018 Growers considering planting canola this season could benefit from learnings from last year’s tough conditions, which reinforced the importance of flowering time and emphasised how following 10 key guidelines can improve the profitability of early sown canola.
- Paddock Practice: Integrated approach critical to wild oats management Published: 17 May 2018 Wild oats pose a significant and on-going challenge to grain growers across New South Wales and Queensland with recent surveys identifying it as one of the most common grass weed species found in northern region cropping paddocks.
- Paddock Practice: Why is winter the best time to control fleabane? Published: 14 Jun 2018 Controlling the weed, flaxleaf fleabane, continues to be a challenge for grain growers in Queensland and New South Wales, but research has proved targeting smaller plants during the winter fallow or winter crop phase is key to an effective management strategy.
- Paddock Practice: Five steps for improving on-farm grain storages in dry times Published: 01 Mar 2019 This summer, grain storage expert Philip Burrill is encouraging growers to make the most of having empty or near empty silos and undertake a major clean, alongside repairs, record keeping set-up and long-term planning.
- Paddock Practice: Making more from irrigated mungbeans Published: 31 Jul 2019 Research has identified significant opportunities to boost the yield and water use efficiency (WUE) of irrigated mungbean crops across Queensland and New South Wales by equipping growers with improved information on agronomic and irrigation management.
- Paddock Practice: Pulse crop insecticides under threat from resistance Published: 01 Aug 2019 Central Queensland (CQ) grain growers are being encouraged to assess the full range of options available to control Helicoverpa armigera in pulse crops this season as part of a critical industry-wide push to preserve the efficacy of insecticides.
- Paddock Practice: Ongoing monitoring of RWA important in 2018 Published: 08 Aug 2018 The presence or otherwise of a green bridge over the 2017-18 summer appears to be the main factor determining infestation levels of Russian wheat aphid (RWA) across the southern cropping region...
- Paddock Practice: New tool to help HRZ growers tackle yield gap Published: 16 Aug 2018 Three new fertiliser decision-making tools have been produced to help growers in the high-rainfall zone of south-eastern Australia tackle the problem of yield gaps caused by nutrient limitations.
- Paddock Practice: Top tips for canola agronomy Published: 29 Aug 2018
- Paddock Practice: Improve profits with soil-specific nitrogen Published: 04 Jun 2019 A soil-specific nitrogen strategy will provide the best fertiliser returns, with the highest profits coming from prioritising sandy soils over heavier soils in the low-rainfall Mallee environment.
- Paddock Practice: Weigh up economics in canola spray decisions Published: 29 Jun 2017 Canola growers are asked to carefully weigh up the economics of spraying fungicide on canola this year, with the dry start in some areas of the southern region contributing to low levels of blackleg early in the season.
- Paddock Practice: Nutrient testing worth scrutinised in new project Published: 04 Jun 2019 For most grain growers, fertilisers are the biggest input cost so a carefully considered soil and plant testing regime and fertiliser program are key components to ensure a grower’s cropping program is successful and producing the most profitable results possible for the current season and into the future.
- Paddock Practice: Key considerations before deep ripping sandy soils Published: 01 Apr 2019 In this issue of Paddock Practices, deep ripping compacted or hard-set soils, identifying hard and compacted soils, subsurface acidity and more on deep ripping
- Paddock Practice: Protecting cereal crops from powdery mildew Published: 04 Jun 2019 Powdery mildew has become more prevalent with the shift to more susceptible crop varieties. On-farm management difficulties for barley powdery mildew are compounded by evolving issues of fungicide resistance.
- Paddock Practice: Tips to manage net blotch in barley crops Published: 24 Jul 2020 Growers and agronomists are advised to monitor barley crops this winter for signs of spot and net form of net blotch (SFNB and NFNB).
- Paddock Practice: Summer Weed Management Tips for WA Published: 04 Jun 2019 Summer weeds in the fallow are the enemy of soil moisture conservation and removing them in the months after harvest will be one of the biggest contributors to improving water use efficiency in 2019 crops.
- Paddock Practice: Tips and tools for reducing snails at harvest Published: 01 Sep 2018 Grain growers in Western Australia’s southern high rainfall areas are advised to consider a range of harvest practices to help reduce the risks of snails contaminating grain this season.
- Paddock Practice: Harvest measures show potential to help control sclerotinia stem rot Published: 01 Sep 2018 Regular rainfall experienced since winter 2018 in a number of WA cropping areas led to the development of canola crops with high yield potential in some areas, but conditions were also conducive to disease.
- Paddock Practice: Tips and tools to get the best out of early-sown canola crops Published: 01 Jan 2019 The Grains Research and Development Corporation’s collaborative ‘Optimised Canola Profitability’ project team has assessed the interaction between these key factors using 2014-17 trial data. It found early sowing of canola can increase productivity and returns if some key tactical guidelines are followed. These are summarised further below.
- Paddock Practice: Tips and tools for planning management of soil constraints in 2019 Published: 01 Feb 2019 a suite of research trial results, resources and tools stemming from the five-year Soil Constraints West project is now available. Check out this issue of Paddock Practices for more info.
- Paddock Practice: Planning late summer and pre-seeding weed control Published: 01 Jan 2019 The key message from this issue of Paddock Practices is for all regions is to act early and stay on top of emerging weeds during summer and autumn for optimum soil moisture and nutrient conservation and to minimise the ‘green bridge’ for carry-over of pests and diseases.
- Paddock Practice: Key considerations for grazing crops in WA Published: 01 May 2019 Growers opting to graze crops in order to fill the winter feed gap are reminded to monitor such crops closely to avoid any yield penalties which might result from grazing.
- Paddock Practice: Whole package approach to soil constraints advised for Western Australia Published: 31 Jul 2019 Significant research into western region soils has identified new best practice approaches to remedying an array of soil constraints.
- Paddock Practice: Be aware of snails at harvest Published: 18 Oct 2019 With harvest fast approaching, growers are reminded of the importance of minimising the spread of snails by prioritising the order of paddocks to be harvested.
Was this page helpful?
To protect your privacy, please do not include contact information in your feedback. If you would like a response, please contact us.