Crop Variety Guides
These publications summarise information on current varieties of the major winter crops grown in Australia. Sources of additional information are listed in each chapter. Local advisers are also a key resource for information relevant to individual localities.
This publication aims to prompt growers to ask themselves, ‘Am I growing the best variety for my situation?’ Use it as a guide for discussion with consultants, advisers and marketing agents.
National Variety Trials (NVT)
The majority of variety trials presented in these books are sourced from the NVT program. NVTs provide independent information on varieties for growers. The aim of each NVT is to document a ranking of new and widely adopted varieties in terms of grain yield and to provide grain quality information relevant to delivery standards.
Conducted to a set of predetermined protocols, NVTs are sown and managed as close as possible to local best practice such as sowing time, fertiliser application, weed management and pest and disease control, including fungicide application. NVTs are not designed to grow varieties to their maximum yield potential.
Latest Crop Variety Sowing Guides
- 1.10 mb NVT Queensland Wheat Variety Guide 2016 National Variety Trials seek to collect the most relevant varieties for each region and test them alongside the elite lines from breeding programs.
- 2.55 mb SA Sowing Guide 2016 What to grow next season: The essential guide to the most suitable varieities for South Australia in 2016
- 3.58 mb NVT Victoria Winter Crop Summary 2016 This publication summarises information on current varieties of the major winter crops grown in Victoria. Sources of additional information are listed in each chapter.
- 1.86 mb 2015 Wheat variety guide for Western Australia Information on current wheat varieties grown in Western Australia
- 1.79 mb WA Barley Variety Sowing Guide 2017 Includes market feedback, relative grain yield comparisons, disease ratings, agronomic information and herbicide tolerance ratings.
- 1.17 mb WA Canola Variety Sowing Guide 2016 Includes Triazine Tolerant (TT), Triazine Tolerant with Roundup Ready® (TT+RR), Roundup Ready® (RR) and Clearfield (CL) canola varieties.