Cereal fungicides (All regions)
Published: 6 May 2013
Understanding foliar fungal diseases of cereals and how to manage them is in the interests of both the individual and the grains industry as a whole. Most diseases that affect cereals are caused by fungi. A fungal species that causes disease is called a pathogen.
- Fungicides are only one component of a good management strategy.
- Correct identification of the cause of plant symptoms is essential, and an understanding of the growth and spread of any pathogen will assist in any decision making.
- Cultivar resistance is the best protection against fungal diseases. Ideally, when agronomically suitable varieties are available, opt for moderately resistant (MR) to resistant (R) varieties in disease-prone environments.
- Disease control using fungicides is an economic decision.
- Understand the role of the season and have a plan in place, and if growing susceptible varieties have the right chemicals on hand.
- For cereal rusts and mildew, remove the green bridge between crops to prevent rusts from over-seasoning.
- Monitor crops throughout the season. Spray if disease threatens key plant parts (flag to flag-2) of varieties that are moderately susceptible (MS) or susceptible (S).
- Fungicides do not increase yield; they protect yield potential and cannot retrieve lost yield if applied after infection is established.
- Fungicide resistance is a major emerging issue. Do not use tebuconazole-based products on barley if there is any chance of powdery mildew occurring, and select varieties that are resistant to powdery mildew.
Region West, South, North, National
- 3.58 mb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Northern Region (High resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
- 524.27 kb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Northern Region (Low resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
- 2.88 mb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Western Region (High resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
- 523.71 kb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Western Region (Low resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
- 3.43 mb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Southern Region (High resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
- 530.94 kb Cereal Fungicides Fact Sheet: Southern Region (Low resolution) Managing Cereal Fungicide Use
Table of contents
Region: West; South; North; National
Was this page helpful?