Frost - Frequently Asked Questions
Introducing Frost - Frequently Asked Questions, this publication from the WA DPI in collaboration with GRDC contains a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions about Frost affecting cereals.
The questions answered include:
- At what temperature does frost occur in a cereal crop?
- Why does rain make it worse?
- When is the crop most susceptible?
- What does frost damage look like?
- How do I check for frost damage?
- Is stem frost damage as bad as flowering frost damage?
- Do all crops respond the same to frost?
- Why do crops with high yield potential get frosted more?
- Do all wheat varieties respond the same under frost?
- How do you use the frost performance values on NVT?
- What is the soil heat bank?
- How does stubble loads affect frost severity?
- Does sowing direction impact frost severity and duration?
- What is the effect of nutrition, nitrogen, potassium and copper?
- What is meant by synchronicity of the canopy? Why does this matter?
- Does soil amelioration reduce frost severity on light textured soils?
- Harvesting a frosted cereal crop?
- What management options do I have to minimise frost damage?
Short url: https://grdc.com.au/frost-faq
Was this page helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?