Best bet chickpea management:
GroundCover™ Issue: 33
- Budget carefully — is it worth growing chickpeas if you have to put on six or more applications of Bravo?
- Select your paddock — no chickpea residues and preferably no neighbouring paddocks which had chickpeas in the previous year. Can you get on to the paddock in the wet to apply fungicide?
- Clean seed — try to use the cleanest seed available.
- Treat seed — with P Pickle TSC.
- Sow late — as late as possible, in the Wimmera until at least July.
- No double sowing — double sowing reduces the efficacy of fungicide.
- Zinc nutrition — paddocks should have good zinc nutrition or receive it through foliar spray.
- Apply fungicides early—at six weeks after sowing.
- Apply fungicide regularly—every two or three weeks or before rainfall.
- Coverage — boom application is better than aeroplane.