Identifying Frost Damage
Host: Tony Crowley | Date: 22 Aug 2019
Valuable frost research is equipping grain growers with practical information on how to identify frost damage in cereal crops.
In this podcast WA Department of Primary Industries & Regional Development research officer, Dr Ben Biddulph, discusses what to look for, when and where, to identify frost damage
According to Dr Biddulph grain growers need to be alert, but not alarmed about frost, and know what management options are available to reduce or mitigate frost risk.
Dr Ben Biddulph
DPIRD Grains Directorate
3 Baron-Hay Court, South Perth, WA 6151
m: 0428 920 654
A range of resources to help growers identify and manage frosted crops are available on the GRDC website:
- Frost Identification Guide, produced by DPIRD with co-investment from GRDC, available at https://grdc.com.au/CerealFrostIDGuide
- Frost - Frequently Asked Questions, a DPIRD publication produced in collaboration with GRDC at https://grdc.com.au/frost-faq
- The GRDC YouTube frost playlist which includes segments about the emotional cost of frost and managing the effects of frost https://www.grdc.com.au/GRDC-Video-NationalFrostInitiativePlaylist
- GRDC Managing Frost Risk Tips and Tactics at https://grdc.com.au/ManagingFrostRisk
- More information on frost management can be found via the GRDC’s suite of GrowNotes™ publications available at https://grdc.com.au/grownotes
- Frost resources are also available on the DPIRD website at https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/frost/frost-tools-and-support and https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/frost/management-options-frosted-crop
GRDC Project code: DAW00244; DWA00243; DWA00242; DWA00236
Was this page helpful?