Blackleg Management Guide
Published: 11 Aug 2023
Quantify the risk, paddock by paddock
Blackleg can cause severe yield loss, but it can be successfully managed. This Guide and the BlacklegCM app will help growers and advisers to effectively manage canola crops against blackleg infection, and determine if there is a high-risk situation where practices need to change to reduce or prevent yield loss. Follow Steps 1 through to 4 in sequence, starting below the Key Points.
- Never sow your canola crop into last year's canola stubble
- Choose a cultivar with adequate blackleg resistance for your region
- Relying only on fungicides to control blackleg poses a high risk of fungicide resistance
- If your monitoring has identified yield loss and you have grown the same cultivar for three years or more, choose a cultivar from a different resistance group
- Monitor your crops in spring to determine yield losses in the current crop.
Was this page helpful?