2018 Canola variety guide for Western Australia
There are several herbicide tolerance systems available in WA canola varieties.
- Triazine tolerant (TT); tolerant to selected triazine herbicides
- Roundup Ready® (RR); tolerant to Monsanto glyphosate herbicide
- Triazine tolerant and Roundup Ready® (TT+RR); tolerant to both Monsanto registered glyphosate and triazine herbicides.
- Clearfield® (CL); tolerant of imidazolinone herbicides (and marketed as Clearfield®)
- Conventional canola (CC); does not have extra herbicide tolerance, but is tolerant of grass selective herbicides, as are the previous types.
Both RR and TT+RR canola types are developed using single gene genetic modification (GM).
There are different canola breeding types;
- Open pollinated (OP) and
- Hybrid (Hy).
Open pollinated seed is created through self pollination. Harvested OP seed is often retained on-farm for use at sowing. Hybrid seed is produced from managed crosses between different canola parent lines and is normally purchased each year.
Want to link to this publication?
use https://grdc.com.au/CanolaVarietyGuideWA2018 to keep your link up-to-date and current!
Was this page helpful?