Dealing with the dry
As grain growers across eastern and parts of southern Australia consider their crop management options due to continuing dry conditions, the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) is committed to providing access to the latest research data and practical agronomic advice to assist with on-farm decision making.
The Dealing with the Dry page provides easy access to information on the economic, agronomic, farming systems and practical implications of salvaging crops for fodder, grain or grazing, as well as data about the long-term consequences of management strategies, in terms of nutrient removal, ground cover, weed management and other impacts.
It also includes links to relevant broader agricultural industry resources.
Having relevant data available in a central location is designed to enhance understanding by growers and advisers of the economic and agronomic costs and benefits of various management options, assisting in informed decision making.
- GRDC Canola Hay and Silage Fact Sheet
- GRDC Update paper: Crops for hay understanding the local regional and export markets
- GRDC Mental Health resource hub
- GRDC Frost Frequently Asked Questions
- GRDC Farm Business Management fact sheet: Personal Property Security Register
Other Useful Resources
- NSW Department of Primary Industries: Salvaging crops for fodder, grain or grazing – costs and income calculator https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/broadacre-crops/crop-salvage-calculator
- Agriculture Victoria: Grains Calculators (calculators for Dry Matter, Hay and Grain production) http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/grains-and-other-crops/grains-calculators
- The Australian Fodder Industry Association website https://www.afia.org.au
- Primary Industries and Regions SA: Seasonal Hardship > Current Outlook http://pir.sa.gov.au/grants_and_assistance/seasonal_hardship/
- Grain Producers SA: Dry Conditions Support and Assistance http://grainproducerssa.com.au/producers/hot-topics/dry-conditions-support-and-assist
- Agriculture Victoria: Managing for and during drought: Dry seasons support http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/farm-management/drought/dry-seasons-support
- GrainGrowers website: Drought information kit https://www.graingrowers.com.au/drought-information-kit/
- Dairy Australia website: National hay market weekly update https://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/industry/farm-inputs-and-costs/hay-report
- NSW Department of Primary Industries website: Drought Hub https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-emergencies/droughthub
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) website: Drought Relief Assistance Scheme guidelines and forms https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/environment/drought/assistance-programs/guidelines-and-forms
- DPIRD-GRDC Frost Identification Guide https://grdc.com.au/CerealFrostIDGuide
Was this page helpful?