I Spy - Identification manual and education resource
Published: 27 Mar 2018
Insects of Southern Australian Broadacre Farming Systems Identification Manual and Education Resource 2nd Edition
About I Spy
I SPY is a comprehensive resource manual for farmers and advisers covering basic taxonomy, important insect groups and identification keys, and descriptions of common species, as well as information on monitoring, integrated pest management (IPM) principles, and biosecurity.
I SPY highlights the importance of insect identification and includes key characteristics used for identification of important insect and other arthropod groups (collectively referred to as invertebrates).
I SPY was designed and produced through the National Invertebrate Pest Initiative to accompany insect identification training workshops in the southern and western cropping regions.
The I SPY manual was reviewed, updated and republished in 2018.
Authors: This manual was compiled by: Judy Bellati, Primary Industries and Regions of South Australia (PIRSA); Peter Mangano, Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia (DPIRD, retired); Paul Umina, cesar Pty Ltd and the University of Melbourne; and Ken Henry, South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI, retired).
Editing and graphic design: Angela Lush, lush logic; Kaylee Maitland, Lavaworks; and Michael Graham, T&M Graphic Communications and Elia Pirtle, cesar Pty Ltd .
ISBN (print): 978-0-6482692-0-5
ISBN (online): 978-0-6482692-1-2
Want to link to this publication?
Use https://grdc.com.au/I-SPY to ensure your link remains current and up-to-date!
- I SPY Section 1 - Introduction (PDF 1.9 MB)
- I SPY Section 2 - Basic insect taxonomy, external anatomy, lifecycles and development (PDF 1.4 MB)
- I SPY Section 3 - Important insect groups and identification keys (PDF 2.8 MB)
- I SPY Section 4 - Common pest, beneficial and exotic species (PDF 19.8 MB)
- I SPY Section 5 - Integrated pest management (IPM) principles and case studies (PDF 1.7 MB)
- I SPY Section 6 - Monitoring, record keeping, sampling techniques and economic thresholds (PDF 4.0 MB)
- I SPY Section 7 - Biosecurity (PDF 555.5 KB)
- I SPY Section 8 - Glossary (PDF 483.7 KB)
- I SPY index of changes - 2nd edition (PDF 12.5 MB)
Region: South; West
Was this page helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?