Spray Application Manual
This Spray Application GrowNotes™ manual provides information on how various spraying systems and components work, along with those factors that the operator should consider to ensure the sprayer is operating to its full potential.
This new manual focuses on issues that will assist in maintaining the accuracy of the sprayer output while improving the efficiency and safety of spraying operations. It contains many useful tips for growers and spray operators.
The manual includes practical information – backed by science – on sprayer set-up, including self-propelled sprayers, new tools for determining sprayer outputs, advice for assessing spray coverage in the field, improving droplet capture by the target, drift-reducing equipment and techniques, the effects of adjuvant and nozzle type on drift potential, and surface temperature inversion research.
The manual comprises 23 modules and each of these features a series of videos to deliver advice to growers and spray operators in a visual, easy-to-digest manner.
Spray application expert Bill Gordon is the editor and lead author of the manual.
Mr Gordon is highly respected for his work in spray application and drift management in Australia over more than 20 years. He has delivered projects on behalf of the GRDC and other industry groups that have provided training on spraying best practice to more than 10,000 Australian grain growers.
Several other key industry players, from throughout Australia and overseas and with decades of experience in various aspects of spray application, have also contributed to production of the manual.
The Manual has the following sections which contain a number of modules which address the following issues:
- Planning your spray operations – things to think about
- Preparing for spraying – checks, accuracy and efficiency
- Spraying system – major components and set-up considerations
- Selecting a spraying system options available and operational considerations
- Review and planning for future needs
GRDC Project Code BGC00003
- 4.16 mb GrowNotes Spray Application Manual - Introduction Contains: Foreword by Steve Jefferies, Table of Contents, List of Videos and Contributing Authors
- 893.08 kb Module 1: The need for planning A spray operator's perspective
- 1.35 mb Module 2: Product requirements Thinking about how products work and factors that can affect their performance
- 1.23 mb Module 3: Nozzle design and function How nozzle choice impacts on spray application
- 1.49 mb Module 4: Drift management strategies Minimising and managing spray drift risk
- 757.16 kb Module 5: Spray plans Planning for how each product needs to be applied
- 2.07 mb Module 6: Pre-operational checks Keeping everything running smoothly
- 908.77 kb Module 7: Mixing and decontamination Avoiding potential problems
- 1.39 mb Module 8: Calibration of the spray system Ensuring accuracy
- 1.70 mb Module 9: Mixing, filling and transfer systems Techniques and tips to increase efficiency
- 5.72 mb Module 10: Weather monitoring for spraying operations How to assess if conditions are suitable for spraying
- 2.71 mb Module 11: Pumps, plumbing and components How they can work together
- 698.87 kb Module 12: GPS systems The options available
- 1.09 mb Module 13: Rate-controller functions and settings Getting the best out of the functions available
- 2.37 mb Module 14: Boom stability and height control The importance of design and control
- 1.59 mb Module 15: Weight, balance and tyres Impact on sprayer performance and safety
- 1.23 mb Module 16: Overview of the spraying systems available Strengths and limitations
- 734.54 kb Module 17: Pulse width modulation systems How they work and set-up considerations
- 1002.31 kb Module 18: Single line and multi-step systems How they work and set-up considerations
- 1.47 mb Module 19: Shielded sprayers Practical issues and set-up considerations
- 929.12 kb Module 20: Target-selectable sprayers How they work and set-up considerations
- 2.02 mb Module 21: Assessing spray deposits A way to improve spray applications
- 971.34 kb Module 22: Integration of the sprayer with other farm equipment Tyre centres, equipment widths and spacings
- 1.90 mb Module 23: Upgrading the sprayer Questions to ask before proceeding
- 13.90 kb Water Flush for Residuals Calculator