Getting inoculation right
- Use quality inoculants (the Green Tick logo is a trademark of AIRG* approval)
- Match the correct inoculant group to each legume
- Inoculants contain LIVE bacteria: make sure they are kept in moderate temperatures (less than 30°C, not frozen) away from sunlight and chemicals
- Sow freshly inoculated seed as soon as possible and definitely within 24 hours of inoculation
- Use clean potable water for dilution when using liquids or slurries, and make sure holding tanks are free from chemical and fertiliser residues
- Many pesticides, mineral and organic fertilisers are toxic to rhizobia and should never be mixed with rhizobia
- Rhizobia can be compatible with seed pickles or dressings for a limited time prior to sowing (see Inoculating legumes: a practical guide (2012) for manufacturer’s guidelines and Table 5.4 in Resource #1). Always apply the seed dressing first and allow it to fully dry before applying the rhizobia as a second process
- Always use inoculants before their expiry date
Reseal opened bags of peat inoculant and use them within 2 weeks of first opening the bag
Want to link to this publication?
Use www.grdc.com.au/GRDC-BPG-InoculatingLegumes to ensure your link remains current and up-to-date!