GRDC Grains Research Update – Emerald
Discuss the latest farm-ready information to improve profit, with researchers, agronomists and leading growers at the Emerald GRDC Grains Research Update.
Topics: Wednesday 29 November 2023
- Farming systems research in the Northern Grains Region and implications for key decisions driving risk and profit in Central Queensland. Yield, economics and seasonal risk. Lindsay Bell (CSIRO) & Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld)
- Water - making the most of our greatest and most often yield limiting asset. Lindsay Bell (CSIRO) & Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld)
- Fallow efficiency and the impact of cover in different rainfall situations
- Water use efficiency in different crops and farming systems and impacts on yield
- Nitrogen cycling and management decision making in Central Queensland farming systems. David Lester (DAF Qld) & Doug Sands (DAF Qld)
- N availability and recovery across the farming system
- N impacts on productivity
- Implications for management in CQ
- The role of legumes in CQ farming systems. Doug Sands (DAF Qld) & Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld)
- How much N do they use and leave for subsequent crops?
- Soil disease impacts and soil health issues in the crop sequence
- Water use and ground cover impacts for fallow efficiency
- Panel discussion: Key farming system decision points for profit in CQ farming systems. Darren Aisthorpe (DAF Qld), David Lester (DAF Qld), Doug Sands (DAF Qld), Lindsay Bell (CSIRO), Belinda Chase (Iker Ag) & Josh Bell (JB Ag Services)
- Managing cropping opportunities and responding to seasonal variability
- Factors driving cropping opportunities for 2024
- Nitrogen strategies - getting N on in a timely manner; spreading vs incorporation; use of manure
- Factors driving N decision making for summer 2023/24.
Cost (in AUD$):
Was this page helpful?