GRDC Code: CSP2303-015BGX
NPL001 NRMI Coordination & Science Leadership - CSIRO
RiskWi$e (the National Risk Management Initiative), is a 5-year national initiative of around $30 million that will run from 2023 to 2028. It seeks to understand and improve the risk-reward outcomes for Australian grain growers by supporting grower on-farm decision-making. The national coordination and scientific leadership component of RiskWi$e (this investment) is a hub-spoke arrangement to ensure tailored activities in each region are aligned with overall investment objectives, and measured data and analytics are integrated into a national outcome. The RiskWi$e coordinating and science leadership group will:
- Deliver a set of uniform measures of variability in farm profit, technical and economic efficiencies, and reward-risk metrics.
- Provide specialists to develop a decision-making framework that guides growers and advisers on prioritising the key risk management interventions they wish to investigate to improve reward-risk outcomes.
- Co-ordinate and support Action Research Groups (grower groups, advisers, consultants, and specialists) to test selected risk management themes to improve reward-risk outcomes. This will include providing support to undertake a range of work on small-plot research, paddock-scale research, modelling and economic analysis.
- Establish a national focus on nitrogen (N) fertiliser strategies in all regions that considers N banking, surrogate soil N measures and how variable rate technology may mitigate risk. This nitrogen theme has been previously identified in various National Grower Network prioritisation exercises and in the National Paddock Survey report to GRDC.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of the RiskWi$e investment.
- Develop and undertake communication and extension activities with all partners and GRDC to address risk in Australian grain production systems.
RiskWi$e is conducted in partnership with grower groups, 6 action research groups, research/extension partners, CSIRO as the national project lead, and the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) as the principal partner. Find out more: RiskWi$e.
- Project start date:
- Project end date:
- Crop type:
- All Crops
- North, South, West
- Project status